Re: (erielack) Old Erie Stops from an 1899 Document

Dear folks:

The book "Between the Ocean and the Lakes: The Story of Erie," by Edward
Harold Wott, copyright 1899 to John S. Collins Publisher, 253 Broadway, New
York, New York, is quite a reference book. I have not quite finished reading
it. It is divided into chapters by each railroad presidents' term of office.

The Gazetteer is an 11-page section (pages 500 to 511, with each page almost
9X12 inches) toward the end of the book after a section on annual earnings,
times tables, and a table of all the new trackage and growth (in number of
locomotives) by year.  I find it interesting to see how the names have
changed at several locations.  The Gazetteer in the original book cross
references other pages in the book to give a better description of events and
railroad points to the reader. The Gazetteer uses census counts for the towns
along the old Erie Main (as it was considered in the original charter from
New York/Piermont/City of Jersey to Lake Erie/Dunkirk/Buffalo) from 1890 with
some references to 1900 (I have yet to figure out how a book copyrighted in
1899 uses data from 1900).

The 157-page Biographical section following the Gazetteer called "Men of Mark
in Erie Towns" might be of more interest to modelers or local historians.
The section contains names, biographies, photos and sketches of people, their
houses, and industries in the towns along the Erie Railroad. Some of the
industry descriptions summarize their innovations (e.g., first to do this or
that), and their business with the Erie. This section includes pictures of
buildings of the time including banks, creameries, tanneries, and other
businesses.  (The main section of the book includes pictures of each railroad
president and sketches of the trains and stations.)

Howard Haines
ELHS #1447