(erielack) Freight Movement on Piermont Branch

Today around 1:15, I saw a rare sight at the corner of Routes 202 and 59 in
Suffern- a freight train creeping up the Piermont Branch!  It was made up of
two ex-PRR Conrail locomotives (GP40's?) one on each end of the train, which
was 2-3 open Burlington Northern lumber cars.  I followed it up Route 59
(Lafayette Ave), not difficult since I don't think the train was exceeding 5
mph.  I pulled over on a side street to look at the movement and just missed
the head locomotive so I wasn't able to talk to the crew.  There were two
members in the cab and a flagman on the front of the train since the Piermont
Branch is not protected with gates and flashers at most crossings.  I think
the train was headed for Dykes Lumber in Tallman but I'm not completely sure.

Anyone have any more details on this sight?  Why was there a locomotive front
and back?  Strange switching setup at Dykes?

Michael Sheehy
NJNYRR/Erie Milepost 34 "Summit Park Station"
New Hempstead, NY

- --part1_194.d0c2c1.296cf78c_boundary