(erielack) Re:RED NUMBERBOARDS

	Engineers/engine crews that had perticular engine
assigned to them for regular duty , that maintained (
especially clean , lubed , ect..) their locomotives
above just dropping it off at the engine house after
assignments, were awarded ( I don't know how they were
voted on) to paint their Locomotives with red on the
number boards as a symbol of their efforts. Also
Lcomotives that were used for special events or VIP's
had them painted for the service.

	This was mostly an east coast thing as few engines
were regularly assigned to any engineer on the west
end as most road freights went across two or more sub
divisions or crew change points. Marion was the main
shops and locomotives would run to Hammond,In. and
then From Hammond a locomotive would go through back
to Marion , OH. with crew changes in Huntington , IN.
So all major work was performed in Marion with only
running repairs and general service maintenence done
at Hammond, In. Were as the commuter service engines
and freight runs would have the same engine and crew
outbound and inbound on a regular basis.

	The only shots I've seen in Chicago/Hammond area with
red numberboards were of the same Consols ( 2) a mike
, and a 2-10-2 used in the transfer runs and one day
local service runs.

Rich Youngq