Re: (erielack) Holiday Armchair Model Railroading

Brian J Carlson wrote:

> I would at the minimum include a token representation of owego, and the
> Erie. Was there an interchange there, I don't know too young to remember.
>
> Brian

Dear Brian and Group,
I'm leaning towards including a more-than-token representation of Owego
on a "peninsula" of the layout... that is "Option 2."  It would
certainly be more interesting in terms of railroad operations, but it
would involve quite a few structures to do it justice.  At least it
would give me a chance to run my Erie E8s.

"Owego" would include:
- -- DL&W south side station and Susquehanna River bridge (as in Option 1)
- -- Erie Main, including station
- -- LV Auburn Branch, including station
- -- Ward & VanScoy grain elevator (Erie)
- -- foundry (was this Erie or LV?)
- -- Liberty St. spur track serving lumberyard (Erie)
- -- other industries (as suggested by the group)
- -- "essential" structures (Court St. bridge, County Courthouse, a few
shops to represent Riverow and Lake Street, Fire Station and shops on
North Ave.)

The DL&W Ithaca Branch and LV Auburn Branch would run "off the edge of
the table" somewhere in the Flats area.  (They apparently made a diamond
crossing adjacent to the LV station).

Correct me if I'm wrong here...
If I recall previous discussions on this subject correctly, there wasn't
much (if any) interchange between the three roads at Owego.  LV would
have interchanged with either the DL&W or Erie at Waverly / Sayre, and
run on its own track to Owego.  DL&W and Erie would have interchanged at
Waverly or Binghamton.

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>