(erielack) Holiday Armchair Model Railroading

Dear Group,

I haven't given serious consideration to building a layout in some time,
as my current home cannot accommodate one.  However, the combination of
idle hours during the holidays and the RMC article on Scott Lupia's
layout set the gears in motion on some conceptual planning.

I'm hoping to get some "expert" feedback on some dilemmas I'm facing.  I
also hope y'all will share your own ideas for EL-themed layouts, either
in the planning stages or under construction.

Here is my "least ambitious" concept:

OPTION 1: DL&W Main from Johnson City to Waverly, NY
SCALE: HO
TIME PERIOD: 1954-55
DL&W Ithaca Branch (Susquehanna River bridge) is represented, but
truncated at north bank of river (i.e., concept does NOT include
downtown Owego)

DILEMMA:
Nice opportunities for modelling scenery, but I fear the layout would be
operationally boring due to lack of industries.  The only ones I'm aware
of are:
- -- Endicott-Johnson shoe factory(-ies?) in Johnson City
- -- NYSEG Power Plant in Johnson City
- -- Creamery in Nichols

SO.... I hope you can answer these questions for me:

1. Was there only one Endicott-Johnson plant served by the DL&W, or were
there several?

2. Did NYSEG exist in 1954, or was the power company known by a
different name?

3. Were there any other major customers on the DL&W in Johnson City?

Were there any DL&W customers worth mentioning...

4. ... in Vestal?

5. ... on the south side of Owego?

6. ... in Waverly?

Depending on your responses, I will consider either sticking with what
I've got, or expanding the scope to include downtown Owego, Binghamton,
or points beyond.  Let me know your opinions!

And, of course... Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>