Re: (erielack) the fate of the EL

The EL was in the processes of shutdowning service to various users on the
Cleveland branch while I was working there. I know CR really didn't like
to service food warehouses and did whatever was necessary to have the
company terminate service.

The Cleveland line was duplicated by the PRR/PC line. The ore business was
going away as the mills in Youngstown shutdown.

Nobody wanted the mainline west of Sterling. The B&O considered the line
to Sterling and then moved over to the B&O.

The Dayton branch had little traffic and what was run down the line could
be easily handled by near parallel PC lines.

CR had a lot of capacity on the NYC and PRR lines from Chicago so moving
what little traffic that existed on the EL wasn't a major issue. As I
remember, UPS was real happy with CR handling of their trailers. They were
inserted into the normal TV trains and got to NYC when they got there.

George Elwood
http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood