RE: (erielack) A walk around Ground Zero

- --- intercityrailpal_@_netscape.net wrote:
> Gary and other list members, I keep hearing "Ground Zero"....when this
> area was always Mile Post Zero to me!

Well, the site does resemble to A-bomb test sites.  Those were always
called Ground Zero.

> The Barclay Street ferry was about one block away from Hudson Terminal.
> Barclay Street Ferry was Mile Post Zero to all us E-L guys.
>
> Why was Hoboken listed as Mile Post One in Lackawanna public time
> tables? Yet, I seem to remember Mile Post One around the MU Shop
> building.

The DLW formally began in New York City at the ferry landing.  The river
is almost exactly one mile wide, so milepost one was in Hoboken.  Under
NJT, the railroad begins in Hoboken.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7