Re: (erielack) Ramsey, Mahwah NIMBY

Your point is well taken. On Long Island, just about everything is oriented
toward NY City, mostly by virtue of geography, which constrains LI-after
all, it is an island-and limits sprawl as well as access. Jersey has the
advantage(??) of being between NY and various other places-mostly Philly,
but others as well-and can orient its "suburbanness" in several directions;
it's also considerably larger than LI. Thus, there are more places to go,
with many of them not requiring, or not accessible to, rail service. Still,
if that's true, you'd think the powers that be would want to reduce the
resulting congestion from all those car trips by encouraging those who can,
to use some other means of transport besides the highways. But apparently
not if the station parking lot is in their neighborhood. When I grew up in
Queens, we were two blocks from a LIRR station, which had limited parking
due to geographic constraints. This pushed many commuters into the local
streets for parking, so during the usual rush periods, it was quite busy. We
all survived, and nobody got whacked by any vehicles that I can remember.
Were we all that much smarter or faster in the 60s than kids today? I doubt
it, but we also had enough street smarts to stay out of the way when playing
in the street in front of my house, which we all did in those days. It's
great that these people are worried about their kids' well being, but maybe
they ought to spend a little less time protecting them from the world, and
more time teaching them how to live in it-like how to cross a street with
traffic. It's ridiculous to hold a whole community hostage to prevent
something which will benefit the greater good of that community.

TAB