(erielack) Railroad Preservation

This is a special appeal to those working in railroad preservation,
especially in New Jersey.  (With apologies for cross posting.)

The New Jersey Legislature is considering amendments to the New Jersey
State Register of Historic Places.  Since 1970 the register has protected
The N.J. Register of Historic Places law was enacted in 1970 to protect
historic areas, sites, structures or objects from inappropriate
government undertakings.

But this proposed amendment would prohibit the listing of municipally or
county owned properties without the consent of the governing body.

This is bad news for railfans.  Depots, railroad bridges, rights of way,
and the wrecks of harbor craft will all be placed in jeopardy since many
of these things are already on public land.

Some people mistakenly believe that it is easy to list a property on the
State Register and that doing so prohibits all future use.  This is not
the case, each register nomination is carefully reviewed by experts in
town planning, historic preservation, architecture, and archaeology.  The
nominations are prepared by individuals, preservation professionals and
historical societies, sometimes it takes months or years to complete the
necessary research and assemble supporting documentation.  The
nominations are reviewed and if approved, the owner of the property is
prohibited only from destroying it.  Whatever the flaws of this process,
it is at largely free of political interference.

If this amendment becomes law, the right to protect historic structures
will be taken away from citizens and placed in the hands politicians.

Here's what you can do:

1.  For more information contact Pat Pizzini Huizing of Preservation New
Jersey.  pat_@_PRESERVATIONNJ.ORG

2.  Write to your district's legislative members and the members of the
List of Assembly Environment Committee  (A sample letter follows)

3.  Call upon your municipal officials to adopt a resolution opposing the
register amendments.

Remember Penn Station!

Kevin Olsen
Wayne, NJ

Proposed Amendment will Gut New Jersey's Register of Historic Places Act
- ---

 Once again, we need everyone to turn out in opposition to Assembly Bill
2580/(S1399), introduced in June, 2000, as an amendment to the New
Jersey  Register of Historic Places Law, (NJ Laws of  1970, chapter 268,)

ASSEMBLY ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE

CHAIR: Assemblyman Steve Corodemus (R)
Legislative District 11
40 First Avenue
P.O. Box 266
Atlantic Highlands, NJ 07716
P: (732) 708-0900
F: (732) 708-0903
E-MAIL ADDRESS : AsmCorodemus_@_njleg.org

VICE CHAIR: Assemblyman Francis L. Bodine (R)
(Assistant Majority Whip)
Legislative District 8
Suite 103
3000 Midlantic Drive
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
P: (856) 234-8080
F: (609) 234-3990
E-MAIL ADDRESS: AsmBodine_@_njleg.org

Assemblywoman Nilsa Cruz-Perez (D)
Legislative District 5
514 Cooper Street
Camden, NJ 08102
P: (856) 541-1251
F: (609) 541-3415
E-MAIL ADDRESS: AswCruz-Perez_@_njleg.org

Assemblyman Bob Smith (D)
Legislative District 17
216 Stelton Road
Suite E-5
Piscataway, NJ 08854
P: (732) 752-0770
F: (732) 752-1590

Assemblyman David W. Wolfe (R)
Legislative District 10
852 Highway 70
Brick, NJ 08724
P: (732) 840-9028
F: (732) 840-9757
E-MAIL ADDRESS: AsmWolfe_@_njleg.org

> ------------------------------------
> SAMPLE LETTER/EMAIL
> -------------------------------------

Dear Assemblyperson ____________,

I am writing to express my strong opposition to Assembly Bill 2580/
Senate Bill 1399, the proposed amendment to the NJ Register of Historic
Places Law.

One of the strength's of New Jersey's Register of Historic Places Law is
that it is nonpolitical and nonpartisan.  After extensive public input, a
property is placed on the NJ register based solely on its historic and
architectural merits. There is an excellent and extensive review process
by recognized professionals.

This proposed bill would radically restructure this process.  Important
historic resources could be denied the protection and benefits of  the NJ
Register if a local government decided that it was inconvenient.
Developers could sway the process through extensive lobbying,
short-circuiting the registration process for their own purposes.

The New Jersey Register of Historic Places provides minimal protection as
it is.  The law should be strengthened, not politicized.  Please vote NO
on Assembly Bill 2580.

Sincerely,

Your name
Your address, Include City

> SAMPLE RESOLUTION FOR MUNCIPALITY

RESOLUTION # _________

OPPOSITION TO ASSEMBLY BILL A-2580 and SENATE BILL S-1399

WHEREAS, Assembly Bill A-2580 and Senate Bill S-1399 would restrict the
nominations of municipal and county owned areas, sites, structures  or
objects to the National and State Registers of Historic Places if the
governing body of the municipality or county where the area, site,
structure or object is located does not consent in writing, and

WHEREAS, A-2580 and S-1399 takes away the public's right to nominate a
municipal or county owned area, site, structure or object, that meets the
minimum criteria for eligibility and listing on the Registers, and

WHEREAS, if A-2580 and S-1399 were enacted into law, the public would no
longer be able to prevent their local or county government from
altering, destroying or obliterating an area, site, structure or object
if the area, site, structure or object were listed on the New Jersey and
National Registers of Historic Places, and

WHERAS, counties and municipalities should respect the right of the
public to be able to nominate any municipal or county owned area, site
structure, or object, without objection by the municipality or county, to
ensure that the public is an integral part of the designation process,
otherwise municipalities and counties would, in most but not all cases,
fail to designate areas, sites, structures or objects owned by them,
respectively, within their borders, and

WHEREAS, municipalities and counties have numerous areas, sites,
structures and objects, such as municipal and administration buildings,
libraries, farm and agricultural-related buildings and barns, pony-truss
and stone arch bridges, monuments, limekilns and burial sites, to name a
few.

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Township Committee of
______________,
County of _____________, State of New Jersey opposes the enactment of
A-2580 and S-1399 and urge the ______________th Legislative District
delegations to vote NO on these bills.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that copies of this Resolution be sent to Senate
> President and Acting Governor Donald T. DiFrancesco, Assembly
> Speaker Jack
> Collins, legislators representing the __________th Legislative
> Districts,
> all County municipalities, Preservation New Jersey and the Advocates
for New Jersey History.

CERTIFICATION

THIS IS TO CERTIFY that the above is a true copy of a resolution adopted
by  the Township Committee of _____________ at a meeting of said
TownshipCommittee held on _____________.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.