Re: (erielack) Jan Trains Mag map

6.)	It showed the ex-DL&W line to Syracuse as being severed from, I
believe it was Chenango (or somewhere N of Bingo) to Cortland.  Was service
to Cortland provided out of Syracuse off of the former NYC?  When the NYSW
took over this line, was the track put back into service (or rebuilt if it
had been torn up?) between those two points?  I don't see how the NYSW could
have served Syracuse without it.

Being from the Syracuse side I think I can answer parts of this question.
Conrail did indeed come from the north, not sure when this started.  The
line between Whitney Point and Chenango Forks was OOS, it was not removed,
just not used.  The first NYSW train was from Binghamton, so track was in
good enough shape.  Don't know if any work was done on it or not before that
first NYSW train.  That would have been April 22, 1982.  When CR sold the
line to NYSW, they sold south of Jamesville, to keep NYSW out of Syracuse.

                                Joshua K. Blay

                      http://www.geocities.com/blayjk06/