Re: (erielack) EL detour map

Chris...

(stuff deleted)

> A few years ago, I found on George Elwood's site, the one for the Allegany
> Div. I was curious as how traffic would be detoured if a section of the EL
> main through my hometown of Wellsville was taken out of service.  As I best
> recall the map was prepared in the late 50's or early 60's.
>
> One route which I recall was illustrated was the use of the WAG (former B&O,
> nee B&S) line from Wellsville south to Galeton PA and then north east to
> Addison, NY where it would rejoin the EL.  At best, I was only a couple of
> years old when this map was produced, so I can't comment on the condition of
> the WAG at that particular time, but I do recall it from about 65 / 66 up
> until operations ceased in 72, that the roadbed was in terrible condition.
> I find it hard to see that the EL would have used it to detour the large
> through-freights and piggybacks, as it was really only suited to the short
> freights the WAG ran on it, and at greatly reduced speeds.

You have got to be kidding me!!!  There is no way that would
ever work!!!  The ruling grade up from Wellsville to Galeton
was something like 3% up to Cutler Summit, which often forced
the WAG to double the hill.  The line to Addison had
switchbacks between there and Elkland, PA, which was one of
the reasons it was abandoned.

pat moore
elhs #1719