(erielack) Pascack Valley / NJ&NY & the Great Oyster Rush

Alan,

I am unable to say when the name change went into effect, but if there
are no replies from the list I would be happy to make a trip to the
library on your behalf.  Please send your mailing address.

As for the Pascack Brook, it is unlikely that you will see it on all but
the most detailed maps of the region.  It is a minor tributary of the
upper Hackensack River.  The Pascack Brook joins the Hackensack at the
northern end of the Oradell Reservoir.  The Pascack Brook was later
dammed to created the Woodcliff Lake Reservoir which is visable from the
rail line in the town of Woodcliff Lake.  The Pascack Brook has its
origin just north of the New York / New Jersey border.

One of the last stations on the line is Pearl River, New York.  There is
no Pearl River in that part of the state.  The original name of the brook
(which eventually joins the Pascack) was Muddy Brook.  During the late
1840's a number of pearls were discovered in the freshwater clams of many
local rivers.  There was a positive mania for freshwater pearls and
historians have dubbed the frantic hunt, the "Great Oyster Rush."

In the 1870's as the NJ & NY Railroad was being built, a better name was
needed for a suburban station than Muddy Brook (at least if lots of real
estate was going to be sold.)   So the area around Muddy Brook became
Pearl River.  It is said that the town historical society does in fact
have a bag of pearls from the river.

Kevin Olsen
Wayne, NJ

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:41:19 -0800 A Samostie <quahog_@_sprint.ca> writes:
> Dear Group,
>
> Approximately when did the name "Pascack Valley Line" begin to
> replace
> the former name (New Jersey & New York Division)?
>
> Anyone know the origin of the name?  (I don't see a "Pascack River"
> or
> "Pascack Brook" on the map).
>
> Cheers,
> Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>