RE: (erielack) December calendar photo

If I remember correctly, I read that the main reason that EMD pushed the
SDP45 as a separate unit was to avoid the price freeze that Nixon had placed
upon the U.S. economy. New versions of existing products, had to be sold at
the same price as the original. "New" product lines weren't subject to this
restraint. So, to get around that hang-up, the SDP45 was considered a "New"
product, even though it was just a SD45 with a long frame.

Of course, SP and GN used the extra space for steam generators, and the EL
used the length to hang the 3000 gal fuel tank.

Michael Dye ELHS #1516