FW: (erielack) EL SD 45

FYI

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 4:04 PM
To: 'ken l Gentzke'; Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
Subject: RE: (erielack) EL SD 45

> What's the story with 3607?  Did it ever had been involved in
> a wreck?
> You could see dent in metal sheet near grill on flare.  How did Museum
> got this power?

This was donated to the Museum by Conrail, apparently....  By the way, I
don't think that's a dent - I believe it's the shadow from the wires
overhead...

> The larger one SD45R (? did I had letter right?)   I know
> that SP had got
> several of these powers from Conrail(?).  Anyway in CTC Board
> magazine,
> in UP article, saying that UP had got rid of several powers,
> include one
> SD45R.  How do I know that is original SP's or ex EL?   Just
> thought to
> let u guys know to give u a chance to save this, if it's ex
> EL, before it
> got torched up.

You're referring to the SDP45. SP has at least two (is it four?), and at
least ONE is repainted in UP colors. The SDP45's are easily identified by
two main items:

1. There's about 5 feet of "blank hood" sticking out beyond the radiator
flairs.
2. There's a large "notch" cut out of the nose for placement of the
brakewheel.