(erielack) The Diamond.

To all:

In all due respect to Rich Behrendt and Diamond contributor Dave McWherter. I
take exception to the caption under the back cover photo of Number 6, The
Lake Cities at Marion, Ohio.

I rode eastbound Number 6 on December 30, 1969, and the Diner was switched
onto the train at Huntington, Indiana. Reviewing the last EL thru timetable
which was issued June 15, 1969, it indicates that Dining car service was
available on the Lake Cities between Hoboken and Huntington in both
directions.

Quoting the timetable, the Diner on Number 5 was "in service: From Hoboken
(open at 6:30 P.M.) to 11 P.M., and from 6:30 A.M. to Arrival Huntington."

For eastbound Number 5, the car was "in service: From Huntington to 11 P.M.,
and from 5:30 AM to arrival Hoboken.

I do not know what the switch engine at Marion was doing, but you can clearly
see a line hooked up to the Diner, indicating that it was being "watered".

In addition, Number 6 was carded to arrive at Marion, Ohio at 4:55 PM, and
depart at 5:10 PM. A 15 minute stop. I believe the "75 minute layover" in the
caption is incorrect.

I am not trying to be "picky". If I have made an error, then let me know.

John Boehner
ELHS #648