Re: (erielack) EL West End book

Marc Shepler asked

> Can you provide information on Bernie Sennstrom's book "Erie-Lackawanna
West
> End".  Size, availability, price, composition (text pictures color etc.)

Bernie's book is the first of at least two, and probably three volumes on
the Erie's, and Erie Lackawanna's, west end.  By that he means the Erie west
of Marion for the most part.

Volume One is, physically, 8 1/2" x 11' x 7/8" thick.  It covers the history
of the line from earliest times to about 1896.  It is heavily illustrated
with maps, photos, schedules, diagrams, and most anything else that Bernie
could find about this part of the road.  There's coverage of construction of
the road, rolling stock, operations including Chicago river service (the
Erie had a western navy too . . . ).

He's hard at work on Volume Two, and has the bones of Volume Three in place.

It's pretty well written, and if there's more to the story than Bernie's
covered, well, you probably didn't need to know anyway.  That's not a snide
remark in any way, for I have the utmost respect for Bernie's diligence and
time spent on research.  Probably a little envy, too . . .

It's available from the ELHS, through Jay Held.  While I should know the
price, since I was involved in setting it, but that involvement also leaves
me with the memories of the different pricing we considered, so I'm not
completely sure.  I think it's $69.95, plus shipping, but Jay should confirm
that.  It will be listed in the next Flying Saucer which will arrive in ELHS
members' mailboxes fairly soon.

SGL