Re: (erielack) Erie in Upstate New York

Ken B. tells us:
> Just got back from a trip to Cooperstown, NY.  I stayed in Little Falls,
> which is east of Utica.  Having taken the Thruway from Buffalo, I passed
> Utica.

and asked:

> Is the Erie Utica Branch still around in the Thruway area?  Or does
> the Thruway cross its right-of-way?

Ken, that was the DL&W branch that went to Utica, the "U" part of the
Lackawanna S&U branch.  It's operated by NYS&W these days, complete with
street running on Schuyler Street (How is it that I can remember that
name???  8^)   ) in Utica.  It doesn't cross the Thruway ROW as it didn't
cross the NYC in town, at least as far as I know.  I don't know how much
traffic there is on that line these days, can anybody comment on that?

Ken further asked:

> While driving in Buffalo, I spotted a yard to the right of the Thruway
> (west or south).  Far in the distance was an open drawbridge.  I recall a
> Trains article about Buffalo some years ago which, I recall, said that the
> bridge was, I think, the old Lackawanna main.  Did I remember correctly?

But I can't help there.

Schuyler Larrabee