(erielack) EL and name longevity...

> Time flies by and people forget.  It's times like this when I
> marvel at
> how the Erie Lackawanna name has hung around so long after the
> company was absorbed into Conrail such a long time ago.
>
> Ed Montgomery

What really amazes me is how the *ERIE LACKAWANNA* name has stuck around.
I've noticed that people will still refer to "the Erie Lackawanna" line -
not the ERIE line, not the LACKAWANNA line, but the EL!

It has been almost a quarter-century since the EL disappeared (yes, next
year will be 25 years - eek!)  Yet today, we have a major railroad terminal
on the Hudson River with a giant sign facing New York reading "ERIE
LACKAWANNA." That same terminal (Hoboken) also had a little area out front
name "ERIE LACKAWANNA PLAZA."

Impressive what an effect those 16 years of existence has had on people's
minds... :)