[Fwd: (erielack) DL&W in Ithaca, NY. (fwd)]

- --------------E099E80834DFA7E2C1365275

Matt,

I'd be glad to help you out as best I can. But first off we need to
straighten a few things out, when you speak of Besmer and Brookton(dale)
you are more probably referring to the Lehigh Valley and it's Elmira,
Cortland and Northern branch. Also for Ithaca proper, the only two
railroads that served it where the DL&W and the Lehigh Valley and it's
predecessors. There was also a trolley line but I don't think you are
interested in that so much.

If you want information about the Lehigh Valley and the DL&W a good
first place to start would be to try and find a copy of the book "A
History of Railroads in Tompkins County" published by the DeWitt
Historial Society of Tompkins County (The Society is located in Ithaca).
I don't know if copies are still available from them but I think the
book was printed again fairly recently as one of the rail Historical
Societies of which I am a member was reselling the book.

There is another book put out quite a few years ago specifically on the
Lehigh Valley's Elmira, Cortland and Northern branch that was publish by
the now defunct Grapevine Press and although filled with historically
interesting facts, the reproduction was so poor I can't really recommend
it. A shame too since the author did a reasonably good job, although it
really could have stood to be edited better.

Both books mentioned have pictures of the Brookton trestle. The DL&W
also had a station close by which is shown. As a matter of fact I live
about a quarter mile up the road from the north embankment of the former
trestle. From the size of the earthwork it certainly must have been even
more impressive in person than any picture of it I have seen makes it
out to be.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further
assistance.

Regards,

Will Shultz
- --------------E099E80834DFA7E2C1365275