Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:36:54 -0700
From: Matt English <"menglish_@_epoch.net">
To: "gelwood_@_dnaco.net"
Subject: DL&W in Ithaca, NY.

Hello,
My family is from the Ithaca, NY area.  Ithaca was on both the NYC or Erie
(not sure which) and the DL&W at one time.
I have spent a lot of time in this area and I have found the abandoned
rights of way of both lines around the city.
My grandfather took a keen interest in the railroad right before his death
in 1997.  He had acquired several
old photos of the DL&W structures in his small town of Brooktondale.  He
built balsa wood scale models of the
stations in both Brooktondale (called Brookton in the photos) and the
adjoining town of Besmer using HO scale
track and freight cars to get the correct scale.  He also found photos of
the large wooden trestle which spanned
 the Brooktondale valley.  He was in the process of painting a watercolor of
the bridge when he died.
The incomplete painting hangs in my living room now. I have been a railfan
for as long as I can remember and
my grandfather caught my enthusiasm very late in his life.  I have searched
for photos of the area in recent
years without success.  I have also been a fan of your page for over a year
now.  I just put two and two together
and thought that yours contributors (and yourself) might have photos of the
railroads of the Ithaca area.
I am very interested in the Besmer and Brookton(dale) areas.  Since your
page is EL oriented I am hoping that
you might be able to help.    Since the photos that my grandfather had are
in New York and I am in California
I don't have easy access to them.  Next time a member of the family visits
the house I will have them send
me the photos so that I can scan and contribute them to your page.

Thank you for your time,
Matt

Matthew P. English
   Sr. POP Engineer