Re: (erielack) ABPR of 6-24-00

In a message dated 6/26/00 1:00:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
"gkazin_@_netscape.net" writes:

<< We ran the 14 mile main line and the 2 miles on the pier.  Without stops,
it
 took an hour at the majestic speed of 15mph while slowing for the base
 security gates.  There are 125 miles of track on the base, which is still
 quite active.  In 1981, they toured some of the other 110 miles, but we
didn't
 this time - probably the base has tighter restrictions now.  Two ships were
on
 the fingers of the pier, but we could not visit them >>

Sunday we all got  an over under meet shot where NJT goes over there main.
There track speed is 25 MPH for freight, but I can assure you we were doing a
lot more than that.  I bet certain runbys hit 40.  The pier we went out on
was neat, and was new, from the one visited 20 years ago.  Although not being
able to see the rest of there trackage, and the base was a big downer for me,
I concede that being able to get in their at all was a major accomplishment.
All the other aspects of the trips were run very well.  Although some of the
URHS cars had Air Conditioning  problems, they rode real well.

Their are only two locations on the East coast for loading ammo on to ships,
with the other being Yorktown Va.  Both seem to languish out of the spotlight.

Bob