Re: (erielack) Re: Meadville Line news!

When England chose to privatize it's rail system, didn;t they more or less
create open access for frieght haulers?   Each one could contract to
provide specific services, in some cases simply different trains over the
same track.   I don't remember a lot of detail, just bits and pieces from
reading where Wisconsin Central had expanded in England.

Bill K.

- ----------
> From: Kevin DeGroff <"kdegroff_@_starpower.net">
> To: erielack <"erielack_@_internexus.net">
> Subject: Re: (erielack) Re: Meadville Line news!
> Date: Friday, June 09, 2000 3:31 PM
>
> The biggest problem with open access would be the level of
> maintnenance and investment performed, which would no doubt
> be at a 'government standard'.  Thats not necessarily a plus.
>
> Its true that the government pays for airports and waterways and roads,
> But some of these facilities are truly dumps, and, well, the condition of
the
> interstates is about equal with the Meadville line in its current state.
I bet
> if you took the level of maintenance and investment you see at Penn
Station