Re: (erielack) Re: Meadville Line news!

If the government owns the track, who determines the standards to which it
is maintained?  What if one rail operator desires and is willing to pay for
a higher standard, but another operator cannot afford it?  Who
decides?  Who pays?  If the track is maintained at a lower standard,
mandating slower speeds, an operator might choose another, faster route,
depriving the rail line of needed revenue.

There are a lot of issues to be worked out.  And then there are signalling
systems, rules, etc.

Ken B.