(erielack) Salt Mine, Mount Morris discussion

Listers:

    Someone suggested the DL&W may have been torn up south (RR east) of
Mount Morris to provide the rail for the new salt mine spur.  This may be
true, but I tend to doubt it because I observed rail cars at Foster Wheeler
Corp., in Dansville, as of 6/3/00.

    To help answer another question on what is left of the Lackawanna in
this area - the rails are gone from Wayland, NY to Groveland Station, NY.
Most of the ROW is still intact.  By this I mean there are not many places,
if any, where someone has built on it or it has been plowed under.  Some
highway overpasses have been removed and filled in.  The  bridges on the
line have been removed.  By the way it looks I wouldn't be surprised if the
ROW is still intact as far as ownership is concerned (maybe a county IDA).

    IMHO this abandoned section will never be revived.

- - D. Green, ELHS #1366