RE: (erielack) Concordance Map, rationale for track structure work etc. (add'l comments)

Kevin DeGroff's comments below, adds some valid and interesting insight into
the 'why's' of track rationalization and elimination in the early Conrail
years.

He concludes with the following paragraph:

'It seems that deep down there was some short-term cost-savings reason
responsible for most of this, but it does sound kinda dumb to compromise
smooth long-term operations to save a few pennies.  Classic example
of cherry-picking assets, thus yielding inconsistent future operations.'

I agree with Kevin's conclusion for the most part, however, I believe one
must reflect on obstacles to be confronted and the operating environment
that the Ruling Fathers of Conrail at the time had to exist under.  It is
easy 24 years after CR founding to sit back and be a 'Monday morning
quarterback', especially in light of its superb operations and the
profitability it had from the mid to late 80's and afterward.

No doubt that these odd track alignments, compromises on track, bridge and
signal structures present today an impediment to smooth efficient
operations.  However, things were quite different from 4/1/76 until the mid
80's in the following ways:

1.) NE railroading operated under excess capacity for decades.  I remember a
lecture in an economics class in college regarding predatory pricing by
competitors regarding the RR industry in the NE.  The professor discussed
that since the 20's there were five routes in existence to ship via rail
between NY and Chicago and only enough volume to allow two, and under the
best economic conditions, three to operate profitably.  (PRR, NYC, Erie,
DL&W/NKP, CNJ/Reading/B&O);
2.) Operating conditions and the overall health of the RR industry in the
70's / early 80's was abysmal (some were even writing the industry's
obituary at that time);
3.) Regulatory environment was very oppressive and contributed significantly
to #2.);
4.) A number of smokestack industries were on the decline or had gone out of
business (i.e. steel, metals, etc.), again another significant contributor
to #2.);
5.) Regulators (i.e. ICC) were not receptive to mergers, rate structure
overhaul, and other improvements to operating conditions.  There was a
thread in the list about 3 months or so ago that discussed an annual report
of the Erie's from the late 50's (posted on G. Elwood's site).  In it,
management discussed that a proposed merger with the DL&W was being
considered by the ICC and had been drawn out and how they felt it was in the
best interests of the long term prospects of the corporation.  Also, it
discussed the potential impact of the proposed PRR / NYC merger that had
been presented to the Commission (10 years before it occurred!);
6.) Meaningful regulatory reform was not effected until the early 80's (i.e.
Staggers Act);

In short, the future for the industry was bleak and CR's was especially
bleak.  No one knew if it could make a viable entity out of the mess it
inherited.   Continued support by the USRA and other gov't agencies was very
uncertain.  Remember, it was the efforts of Stanley Crane and others in the
early CR management team to keep CR both out of the hands of other RR and
investment $ coming to it from gov't agencies.  One can only speculate, but
w/o the continued stewardship of the USRA, CR would have been bought by
other RR's and IMHO, it is likely that under the control of other private
roads, a number of CR lines still in existence, would have been sold off or
abandoned.

When you are trying to keep your ship afloat in uncertain waters, you can
only focus on keeping the holes plugged and completing the voyage at hand.
It is almost impossible under those conditions to worry about future
voyages, what they would bring about and how well one can navigate a future
that may likely not even come about. (In other words: We'll cross that
bridge (no pun intended) when we get to it.).

Regards,

Chris Thurner