(erielack) Helper Engines at Campbell Hall, NY (a little clarification)

Alan Samostie wrote:

<snip>

Both the Norfolk & Western and Southern Railroad had a preference for
high-nose Geeps, long after most other railroads had switched to low-nose
units and chopped the noses on their remaining high-nose units.  This
practice seems to have continued on the merged Norfolk Southern.

True as to the N&W and SOU.  To the best of my knowledge, NS has purchased
low nose units exclusively.  They have retained the high hoods on those
units so equipped at the time of the merger.  I do not know of any examples
of high hoods being 'chopped' by NS (but I'm sure there are a few
exceptions, (open invitation to be 'Flamed')).

<snip>

N&W high-nose Geeps usually operated long-hood forward, don't know about the
SR ones.  I just recently discovered that EL high-nose Geeps had the "F"
painted on the long hood end, perhaps as a result of N&W / Dereco control of
the EL... although, come to think about it, the DL&W high-nose Geeps also
had the "F" on the long hood end.  Not sure about Erie units.

This practice was widespread on most RR in the early diesel years, probably
as a result of a holdover from the steam era, almost all early Geeps (7's &
9's) along with the corresponding SD units were designated at long hood
forward and had the 'F' placed on the long hood end.  How this came about is
not clear.  Some roads were accustomed to it from steam; some said it
provided more protection from an accident at the front (e.g., grade
crossing).

Also, as I think of it now, maybe it was left that way to help the operating
personnel (i.e. engineers / fireman) become more accustomed to the new
diesel units, as there were some objections to the new locos from them (and
in some cases from the unions).  Some steam era personnel refused to operate
the diesels and either retired or went on to other occupations.

How it was changed to short-hood and chopped nose, etc. is equally not
clear;  some state it was improved visibility (e.g. long hood forward
prevents engineer from seeing anything on the fireman's side, etc.)

Look at pics from the late 40's, early / mid 50's on a number of roads (e.g.
PRR, B&O, etc.) and you will see most, if not all, from that period with 'F'
on the long hood.

I hope this information added to your understanding of this matter.

Regards,

Chris Thurner