Re: (erielack) ERIE PASSENGER Fs

On Wed, 31 May 2000, MONTGOMERY| ED wrote:

> I was wondering why the ABA passenger units the Erie purhased
> came with the small illuminated number boards.  I don't think that
> was standard for the F3s.  Perhaps they were trying to make them
> look like E6s. Any other ideas?

Early F3's came standard with the small number boards and it was later an
option, I guess for those roads which wanted to keep things standardized. The
larger number boards became standard in mid '47. Perhaps the Erie thought it
would be better to remain with the small number boards for inventory purposes.

The Erie also had a group of high fan freight F3's with small numberboards.

As far as I know both groups were built after the small boards became an
option in the F3 line, possibly delivered in late '47, I don't have the exact
dates handy.

Ah, George's site comes through, the 800 through 806 sets were built in July of
'47 according to his posted data.

Anyone know anything more about why the Erie stuck with the small boards
through the end of '47?

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
"root_@_bluemoon.net"         net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network
http://www.bluemoon.net   mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD
bbs.bluemoon.net          irc.bluemoon.net - ZUHnet Buffalo, NY IRC Server