Re: Re: (erielack) remaining DL&W trackage west of Binghamton w

Warsaw, NY is the county seat of Wyoming County.  It is located on U.S.
Rte.20A and is about one hour east of Buffalo.  It is the center of a very
rural area of rolling hills and large farms.  It is a pretty area.  Warsaw
is large enough to host a Wal-Mart, has a hospital, some industry of which I
know little.  I would estimate it has a population of about 5,000 residents,
maybe less.

The EL is on the west side of the village, high up the side of the Oatka
Creek valley.  It is a long, steep climb up 20A to get to where the depot
was, and it is outside of town.

On the west side, the R&S (BR&P - B&O) mainline did not enter the village
either.  It also is high up the opposite valley wall.  However, there was a
spur that went down into town, where it served industries and a depot.

Odd that EL passenger trains would stop there in the 60's, I would think.
However, I am a poor judge.  Living conditions in one part of the state are
not the same as in another, as I have recently found out through personal
experience.  There may have been a need and a market in the area for rail
passenger service.

- - D. Green, on the K&P