(erielack) Re: Merry Christmas

I remember going into the city by train with my mother one day close to
christmas day. It may have been the 23rd to our recollection. I was in my
last year of Junior High in Clifton, NJ. She worked in the City at a food
brokers in lower Manhattan. They were scheduled to have a party for their
client stores. I was on christmas break.
We got on the train at the Athenia Station along with about ten other
people. I don't remember an accordionist, though. We actually found lots of
seats on the train too. It was one of those mornings where the snow was
still white and clean - not black slush! The sounds were all still and
muffled. The train was slower getting into Hoboken than usual - I think,
but what was really interesting was the ride across the Hudson on the ferry.
There was no rushing from the train to the boat and no rush of the herd off
the boat!! Everyone seemed to be strolling and enjoying the snow.
Mom and I commented on that when I asked her about it last night. She's
Eighty years young now and her minds sharp. She remembers she and other
commuters calling the railroad the Delayed Late & Waiting...

Harry