Re: RE: (erielack) CN/BNSF Merger

In a message dated 12/22/99 7:06:26 AM, "jsm44_@_worldnet.att.net" writes:

<< An entire brown

train.  How ugly. >>

Have you been trackside lately? Unless your train has a nice loco (BNSF, CP
or WC) chances are the whole thing is pretty ugly. Even if there are 5 clean
warbonnets up front, most of what follows is a brown or gray mess with nary a
mark save for the reporting marks and maybe a tiny herald.

I think this has something to do with why so many of us nose about trying to
relive the past of roads like the DL&W. Part of it (at least for me) is a
fascination with the entire history of the region the DL&W began in, but part
is also pining for a time I never knew.

The billboard boxcars, pretty coaches and general embracing of aesthetics
pleases me. Its not just the railroads than have lost it, but since they were
so good at it, the loss is all the more noticeable.

Close your eyes after reading the following and take your pick...

It was a quiet afternoon in Scranton's West Side. We stood alone watching a wo
rk-a-day Lackawann train come down the hill from Leggett's Gap. Three maroon
and gray FM's rolled through Cayuga Junction holding back 75 cars of assorted
frieght. Braces of boxcars rolled past, replendent in the bodacious claims of
their owners; "Everywhere West" "Route of the 400's" "Route of the Cheif".
Empty coal hoppers dodged to and fro... dented, dirty and forlorn wearing
bulls-eyes, statues and diamonds... each signifying a geographic tie to the
economic fortunes that built the rails here in the first place. Of course, a
well-kept hack brought up the rear.

Now a best case modern example -- with a little fun to set it up!

I am standing in a huddle of at least ten 300 pound guys spitting tobacco
juice and bits of Wendy's french fries on the ground. Each has 50 lbs of
electronics hung on their belts, adding to an already serious "crack"
problem. It is a Sunday morning at CP- Burn in Allentown, PA and I am before
the altar of the eastern railfan's church.

No matter what train comes through, most buffs watch the engines and then
turn away or at the very least re-hang ther cameras and smash a scanner to
their ears to hear what is next before the current train is by.

Some trains sport wide varieties of colors on the smoky end; Pumpkins,
leasers and WC SD-45's mix it up with plain jane Throroughbreds and ex
Conrail half-breeds.

In spite of the units, the trains all look the same. There are two types
here: mixed and intermodal. The intermodals offer some varirty of stacks and
pigs, wells and flats, but most are just yellow platforms with some sort of
plain silver box or two  on top. Even the colors of the late-80's are gone on
these trains. The mixeds add mineral brown boxcars with scant lower-third
left lettering. Hoppers and other bulk cars come through in gray with the
same minimal markings. Older gondolas mix it up a bit, and with equally
abused hoppers provide the only real shot at variety. A flashing yellow light
rides the coupler as the traisn rolls on.

So which train do you want to watch? Which do you have in your basement??

Rob