Re: (erielack) Re: (LVRR) LVRR Divisions

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Schuyler G Larrabee wrote:

> > > Buffalo Creek- 21 locomotives
> >
> > That's really interesting.
>
> Said Henry Priebe.
>
> Yes it is, I though that the BCK stuff was shared 50/50 between the Erie and
> the LV.  Forty two locos does seem like a lot, but then I remember from
> reading some of the great history of Buffalo (to bad it seems to be mostly
> past) that there was a LOT of industry there.  Maybe there was enough to
> justify that stud of power.

There was a huge amount of industry, grain and coal shipping going on around
the BCK's domain. The more I have thought about it the more possible it seems
that they had 40+ locos in the early part of the century. I think most people
have seen the BCK boxcars with the flour sack heralds on them, they were there
for a reason, Buffalo in the earlier part of the century was the world's
largest grain center and the BCK was smack dab in the middle of all the
elevators!

Note to respondants: This is cross posted to two lists, if you aren't a member
of one of the lists don't include it in the To: or CC: fields as it will just
bounce to the list owner!

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
"root_@_bluemoon.net"         net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network
http://www.bluemoon.net   mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD
bbs.bluemoon.net          irc.bluemoon.net - ZUHnet Buffalo, NY IRC Server