Re: (erielack) Dining Car experiences

Fred Stratton wrote:
snip

> I think the point the interested me the most was
> that we had to fill out what we wanted from the menu on a card and if
> memory serves me correctly, the menu stated we were not to give our order
> directly to the waiter but to write it down.>

This was common in RR diners and on ships.  The staff didn't have the
time to argue with the patron about an incorrect order.

>Another fascinating point I
> recall was that when a meal was about to be served, a porter would walk
> thru the coaches and play a few notes on what appeared to be a small
> xylophone. Does anyone recall any of this?

As the cars did not have a PA system, this was common on trains and
ships.

I ate in the Erie diners a few times between Marion-Meadville and
Meadville-Hornell in 1954/5. The only thing I remember clearly is that
it was the first time I had blue cheese.

bob gillis