Re: RE: (erielack) The PAs are home

In a message dated 12/1/99 3:35:20 PM, "douglas.w.holbrook_@_lmco.com" writes:

<< Today's F40's are yesterday's FL9's.  Somebody ought to grab a pair of

Amtrak F40's before THEY go the same route as the PA's.   >>

Considering that Amtrak has already butchered the first production unit, the
time is right to ID the best examples to preserve and put a "claim" on them
much as the B&O Museum has done with active CSX units. They get'em when CSX
is done with them.

In today's locomotive remanufacturing world, kit will be quite hard to get
units in near "as-built" condition. The F-40's are viable frieght units, so
unless it is a basket case, a museum will have to be very fortunate or very
rich to get one now.

Let's hope that an Amtrak F-40 can be preserved so we don't end up with a VIA
F-40 in Illinois painted for Amtrak. We have already been forced down that
route.

EL content coming --- maybe we should get the F-40 that ran on the cutoff
inspection train for the NJ museum as the last passenger engine to run that ro
ute!

Rob