(erielack) steam nicknames

In a message dated 12/2/99 3:36:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
"root_@_net.bluemoon.net" writes:

> What were the 4-6-2's, 4-6-4's and 2-8-2's known as? Eleven Hundreds for
>  the Pacifics, Twelve Hundreds and Twentyone Hundreds for the Alco Mikes and
>  Eleven-Fifties for the Hudsons?

Depends on the Pacific class, but I'd have to ask the railroaders on those.
There were so many sub groups of 4-6-2s.  Remember, the 1102 and 1104 were
retired after the way, it was the 1110s and the 1120s and 1131s and 1136s
that lasted to the end.  But I'm sure there was a more casual way to refer to
the 4-6-2s.

The Hudsons were 1150s (as you said) and the 2-8-2s were either
twelve-hundreds or twentyone-hundreds.  The three-cylinder Mountains were
twentytwo-hundreds.

It seem never, but never, did the railroaders or mechanics refer to the steam
by class number.  If it weren't for the brass models, most folks wouldn't
know what a Q4 or M1 or N12 is.

                      ....Mike