(erielack) Begining of the end.

The last week of Conrail is starting to bring the Harsh reality of next week
in to perspective. Workers here in North Jersey have started to say there
good buys to each other last weekend. With the horrible three way split, guys
you have worked with your whole career are going to different Railroads.
Individuals are working for the last time this week over sections of Railroad
they have seen most, or part of there Railroad career, but as of Tuesday will
never work over again. Almost every one is having two-thirds of there
seniority district taken away from them. Those going with Shared Assets may
again someday work with former fellow workers because of the once a year 5%
flow back, that will carry through for six years. Those going to NS and CSX
will never work together again, and are essentially locked in to there
choice.  A choice that everyone nervously debated long and hard over.  The
amount of information that we where given to make these very, very important
choices was slim to none. Many older employees chose Shared Assets simple
because they wanted to see how the other two roads faired for the first year
or two, or they wanted to avoid the dreaded NS.  The job assignments have
absolutely no built in guarantees, and could change on day two drastically.
CSX could decide to hub ALL its road crews out of Selkirk.  NS could do the
same out of Harrisburg.  As for the Southern Tier, every end of the spectrum
in rumors has been touched.  All the big money is going into the Harrisburg
route, so what's left overs will straggle in via the Southern Tier, and where
the crews will be stationed, is again a big open expanse of anxiety.  What we
where told at Union meetings before we had to make our decisions, already
appears to be changing. Those going to the NS Nickel Plate side (Southern
Tier) still don't even have an agreement book.

I won't even touch the Time Card situation, or the job symbols, or the book
of rules situations etc, etc.  What I will tell you emphatically is all three
railroads will be extremely short crews, and especially crews qualified in
certain specific areas outside the yards. Customers on NJT are in for a rude
awakening. I will not say there is going to be a melt down like what happened
on the UP, stemming out of one yard in Texas. Everyone from the two CEOs two
the lowest none agreement worker on both the NS and CSX will be striving to
see that it will  never happen, and thus the odds of it are really slim.
What I will tell you is that if it does, it will stem from right here in the
North Jersey Consolidated terminal area.  An extremely complicated network,
that has been a daily struggle for Conrail to keep together from day to day,
for twenty some years.  There are so many pieces in the puzzle, and thus so
many potential break downs. Looking back I am amazed it has been held
together as well as it has.  It took an awful lot of people all working for
the SAME company 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to keep it there.  That's
where I can't see how three different company's, two of which are very
competitive (enemies ), are going to be able to do, what one had so much
trouble with.

Am I naive, or a realest?  I guess only time will tell?

How well I remember the evening of March 31, 1976 as I stood by myself, and
watched  ES99 pull through Lake Jct, and its marker disappear up the new
connection for the last time. My bowling team was loosing four games without
me that evening, and I felt I was loosing a large part of my Railfaning world.

18 months later my whole life started revolving around what I thought I was
loosing that evening. Big Blue started to giving me a pay check, and never
allowed me to bowl again. I have learned that change is the only constant
that can always be associated with the Railroad industry. No matter what the
year, Its good that Railfans are there to record it on film today, for it
will surly be different tomorrow. What I have yet to decide is whether
tomorrow's changes as an employee, can hold any of the positive give and
takes that Conrail has presented Railfans over the past twenty-three years,
and right now I am having serious doubts.

Nervous energy just being transposed through the finger.

Bob