(erielack) Lackawanna Gondolas

In a message dated 5/24/99 8:22:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
"gelwood_@_dnaco.net" writes:

> > I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding 40' steel
gondolas
>  > used by the Lackawanna in the 20's. From what I've been able to find out
> they had steel sides and ends with wood floors. I do not have any
information
> as to what color they may have been (both black and brown have been
mentioned)
> and how they were identified - including the number series (50,000's?).
> Any help you may nbe able to give would be greatly appreciated....

Lackawanna had a few classes of steel gon in the 1920s, though most of what
was in service then was still wooden.  The 42-foot cars were black with white
lettering, and in the number series 66000-series, 67000-series, and 68000
through 68199, inclusive with minor variations among them.  Also, around this
time there were a few hundred cars in the 60000-series that were steel-side
rebuilds of earlier wood-bodied cars.

Some of these older steel cars were converted to haul the cement bottles,
while others were married to cranes in MOW service, and few were modified to
couple to subway cars, and so on.

Lackawanna had a diverse fleet of gondolas, and they were perhaps the
car-type least photographed. I've been looking into this for years, but none
of the commercially available HO kits are exactly correct, but everything
available looks close.

                     ....Mike