(erielack) M&NJ and Erie Stillwells

Walter & Joe

The photo at
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/ABPR/may99/05-21-99/pcmxnj103.jpg
is the Empire State Museum's #103 which ran steam excursions on the M&NJ
from 1963-1968 or 69. As you can tell its a low slung, small driver'd
logging locomotive from the Sumpter and Choctaw RR down south someplace.
The stillwells were leased from the Erie Lackawanna for the trips down
Unionville. I don't know off hand the exact dates but the location is
unmistakably DG yard in Middletown. The building in the background is
the M&NJ's Middletown station. Off to the extreme left of the shot is
the EL main line through town. The train is sitting on the M&NJ "main"
the set out stillwells are on the "loop" track.

The M&NJ RHS has slides of this engine by the hundreds in all kinds of
locations along the line. I think Rick McPhillips is in the process of
writing an article about this program for the newsletter. Also Carl
Detwyler (M&NJ RHS member) was M&NJ track supervisor at this time and
Conductor for these trips.

Happy to help
John Deserto  M&NJ RHS editor