Re: (erielack) Stars

In a message dated 5/16/99 10:26:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
"nrw_@_email.msn.com" writes:

>   I think
>  New Jersey had a law or rule that prohibited flushing on the tracks.  You
>  East Enders would probably know this best.  Hope this helps.

I hadn't heard of such a law, but it makes sense that one of the states would
have passed something.   But less than half the Lackawanna cabooses had
holding tanks, many of which were actually assigned in New Jersey.  Perhaps
the law grandfathered anything built before 1954, since all of DL&W retention
toilets on cabooses were installed in 1954 and later.  It was, after all, a
law in New York requiring that all cabooses in service after 1924 have eight
wheels, two trucks and center sills of similar strength of the typical
freight car, which spelled the end of the bobbers.

                        ....Mike