Re: (erielack) Hoboken Happenings / Erie RR in Jersey City.

Seth, I hear what you're saying, but neither you or anyone else has cited
an example of a train that is (1) Run by a transit authority or similar
entity that (2) crosses MORE THAN ONE state line.  MBTA doesn't prove your
case, the north side does not (now) run into NH, though it has in the past,
and the south side does run (barely, but that's all it takes) into RI, but
they run NO train that goes from RI to NH, which is what it would take to
cross TWO state lines, which is what the original post said. North side
operations are Completely Separate from South side operations.

If someone can list a train that does that, case closed.

It strikes me as entirely possible that the legislation creating Amtrak
does indeed carry such a stipulation, as Congress, giving out "all those
millions" (peanuts compared to what air traffic gets) may have looked for a
way to cut competition for Amtrak.  They knew they couldn't outlaw ONE
state line, but TWO, well now, that's not such a problem, is it?  Or
rather, it wasn't, back in 197X, when they did that.

SGL

- ----------
> From: "KC2WE_@_aol.com"
> To: "SGL2_@_ix.netcom.com"
> Cc: "erielack_@_internexus.net"
> Subject: Re: (erielack) Hoboken Happenings / Erie RR in Jersey City.
> Date: Saturday, May 15, 1999 8:42 AM
>
> In a message dated 05/15/1999 12:23:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> "SGL2_@_IX.NETCOM.COM" writes:
>
> << "erielack_@_internexus.net" >>
> Still not true. There is no regulation of interstate service especially
since
> the ICC was disbanded years ago. MBTA serves RI, Mass and NH. The MBTA
(Mass)
> has no restrictions other than public need to justify the expenses. They
can
> cut whatever deals they need to make with state agencies of other states
> run commuter services. Just like telecommunications, long distance
companies
> can get into local service and local and regionals can do long distance.
Most