Way More Re: (erielack) Cut-off service

In a message dated 99-05-11 23:47:55 EDT, "stevekay_@_mtlakes.csnet.net" writes:

<< Don't screw the present riders to get new riders. The answer is more
service, not
 restructured service. >>

To which Steven W.kay added

>>IMHO, it
would be best for these trains to discharge only at Dover, Summit and Newark
connect with NYP, Gladstone or local stops) and deliver the remaining
passengers
to Hoboken. >>

My first ibservation is neither of you guys have ever commuted when you have
to change trains, right? ;-) What a drag.

Let's think customer first. Shocking in railroading, I know, but lets do it
for fun.

When I suggested using a few M&E slots for the Scranton run to NYP, why do
you think you would lose the M&E service? Couldn't the Scranton train cover
the saqme M&E schedules that already exist? It seems rather logical that an
existing express schedule from NYP could be covered by a train bound for
Scranton as easily as one bound for Dover, no?

I know it would be cool for a DL&W-routed train to go from Hoboken to
Scranton again, and one should, but I will say it again. It is myopic to
start this service without direct NYP service, especially since it could be
done by convering an exisitng M&E schedule with an engine change to provide
one-seat riding from Scranton to New York City.

The second you make it a two-train trip, you have lost a lot of people,
especially weekend traffic.

Take some lessons from Amtrak and other commuter agencies. Would the Ethan
Allen carry as many skiers as it does if everyone had to unload and reload
their stuff to chage trains at Albany? For the Pocono resort market, which
will provide head count to this route, a train change will not win over
anyone in New York City. And if you underestimate the potential fare base in
MYC and Long island, take a good hard look at Pocono tourism.

This service can be a winner on many levels.

And remeber what ridership was like to Atlantic City when NJT riders had to
change trains to use PATCO?

Also, as someone who used to live in Scranton, I can tell you that the locals
are much more Philly oriented than New York. We in the NYC area may think
everyone gets the Gaints on TV Saunday, but in NEPA everything is PA related,
from the games you get to the way the news is skewed. For S-WB residents, I
think a Philly train would be more valuable.

When I was living up therre, Governor Casey proposed a plan close to my idea
of a big X of service (yes, I am one who still thinks a Stroudsburg trains is
great, but Scranton service should run via Allentown). In my bib X you have
NYP-Harrisburg route via Allentown and Reading and Philly-Scranton route via
Allentown and Wilkes-Barrre (with Buffalo a possibility). Trains could cover
various combos.

With a major station at Allentown, you could offer a variety of service,
combination routings and the dreaded seat change if you must. Casey's
proposal was close.

One good thing about the DL&W service is at least now alternate Buffalo-NYP
service would probably go via Scranton. I never understood anyone who wanted
to put passenger trains back on the Erie west of PJ.

Rob Davis