(erielack) Modeling preference, line, era, location, operations......

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:18:31 -0600
> From: "Gary_Merrifield_@_NOTES.UP.COM"
> Subject: (erielack) Modeling preference, line, era, location,
> operations......
>
> A little different topic, half survey, half food for thought.......
>
> > How many on the list have, are planning or building a model
> > railroad ????

 Half of my basement is HO Gauge on a 12 X 22 Dogbone with a stub ended yard
at one end, A two track mainline that circles around a second railroad yard
and engine terminal with a roundhouse including a turntable. The railroad
has plenty of on-line customers too including a lumber yard, Coal mine,
Dairy, Cement plant, Two freight houses and about 3 light industries.
  There's a dash of classic S-Gauge on a 4 X 8 down there also, There's
nothing quite like a whiff of Gilbert smoke now and then :o)

( The HO is still waiting for scenery, I may shift the layout around a
little and I don't want to dig up lots of ballast...Hell, EL used that stuff
sparingly anyway. Anyone design a railroad tie that spits mud? I need about
200 ;-() Just to have that EL feel )

> > If yes to the above, what road are you modeling or basing a
> > freelance on
> > ???

The HO is 90% Erie Lackawanna (The S stuff is from the 50's)

> > If staying fairly strict to prototype.....
> >
> > What era, equipment, and actual rail line are you modelling
> > or planning to
> > model ???

The HO is loosely based on EL operations 1960's till April.1,1976

* Yard jobs and Roustabouts use RS-3's GP-7's and EMD and Alco switchers.
* Freights run with SD-45's GP-35's C-424/425 and U-boats.
*D&H, PC and CNJ pool power along with LV and CNJ drills operating with
trackage rights are not uncommon.
* EL/NJDOT Push Pulls
* Occasional intercity passenger train with E-8's
* Some classic EL commuter trains with 1st Generation power.

> > Most importantly, what reasons, WHY did you choose the line,
> > era, region
> > you did......

The Erie Lackawanna has always been my favorite Railroad but I only caught
the last few years of its existence so I make up for it down here, But I
really enjoy steam power too, So you never know when a restored AT&SF 2-10-4
or a PRR M-1 4-8-2 may make a rare appearance! Remember EL had no problems
supporting steam excursions.

Paul Tupaczewski and Jay Held are the only list members to see my slice of
EL...Talk about being put to the rivet counting, Paint chip matching
modeling test!