RE: (erielack) Modeling preference, line, era, location, operatio ns......

> How many on the list have, are planning or building a model
> railroad ????

Planning one right now (gotta get a basement now!)

> If yes to the above, what road are you modeling or basing a
> freelance on
> ???

EL, obviously... :)

> If staying fairly strict to prototype.....
>
> What era, equipment, and actual rail line are you modelling
> or planning to
> model ???

1974-1975, Boonton Line (Croxton, NJ - Denville or Port Morris [haven't
decided yet], NJ)

> Most importantly, what reasons, WHY did you choose the line,
> era, region
> you did......

I grew up in Boonton, and the railroad through town made a definite mark on
me! In my younger years (not that far back, actually), I was contemplating
freelancing a road, but as I matured, I realized that I really enjoyed
prototype research and detail. At this time, I hadn't yet discovered the
concept of "operation", but modeling true-to-life really appealed to me.

I had decided that I was going to model the modern-day Susquehanna, a big
influence in my life in the 1980's and early 90's. I even bought a fleet of
stack cars and some modern power. Then I discovered the magic of operation
(AH!), and quickly realized that a modern day NYS&W (if modeled
prototypically) would be a fairly uninteresting operation (2 through trains
a day? and 3 locals?). I had then considered modeling the NYS&W in the
1950's, when it struck me that I had the perfect prototype right in my back
yard!

The more I studied it, the more I realized the Boonton Line was the one for
me. Why?

* Interesting scenery - the small towns along the NY&GL, expanses of the
Jersey Meadows, and the hill-climbing from Mt. View to Denville
* Possibilities for helpers (climb up to Great Notch)
* Some catenary at the Denville end
* A lot of single-track by the early 70's - makes for some interesting
dispatching possibilities
* I knew it all pretty well from years of photographing NJ Transit along its
length
* Movable bridges! (DB, WR)
* Croxton Yard is a good logical "central yard" - staging from Croxton can
lead to a multitude of traffic sources (other EL lines, interchange roads)

Why the 1974 time frame?

* I can run the newest power (SD45-2's), but I can also toss in the
occasional E8 or F7 on a freight train
* Push-pull commuter trains and U34CH's - I know a lot of people lament the
RS3's/E8's/Boonton cars/Stillwells, and I do too, but the U-boats had a
character all their own.
* I can run the most modern EL freight equipment (7600-series depressed
center flat, for example)
* The traffic shift to the DL&W side ensures 5-6 through trains EACH WAY,
not to mention 5 locals!
* Interchange with many roads at Croxton (PC, NYS&W, Hoboken Shore)
* Colorful modern freight cars running side by side equipment of the 1950's
* GMY cabooses! :)  Heck, just plain CABOOSES! (one thing that bothered me
about the modern day modeling)