RE: (erielack) Re: Hoboken Happenings / Erie RR in Jersey City.

> I'm not sure that the signal bridge is still there: I'll have
> to check on the
> way home, cause they have done a lot of clean-up on that
> viaduct in the past
> year or so.

It's still there - we drove past it yesterday on the way to Grandma's
house... :)

 Conrail still uses a short lead at the west end,
> I think: I have
> seen switchers stowing cars up there in midday. This lead
> went all the way down
> to the site of Newport as late as the early '90s, I think: I
> recall seeing a
> long string of freight cars stored up there with a Conrail
> switcher pushing
> things around about that time. Can't recall when all the
> bridges were finally
> removed, but they are all gone and fenced off now. Yesterday
> I saw that the rock
> wall along the west end of C.Columbus Ave. has been restored,
> and something is
> going on up top...

Are you sure you're not talking about the former PRR Harsimus Cove line
(which was used until about three years ago, as a stub end siding to get
trains coming off the connection at Marion Jct into South Kearny yard?

> There are some other RR remnants around if you walk around
> the neighborhoods:
> some support piers just east of the Conrail line, some track
> remnants around old
> industrial buildings various places. Perhaps some of this was
> CNJ or PRR? I'll
> bring a map next time...

Most (all?) of the street trackage in Jersey City is PRR...

> The CNJ mail car at the CNJ Terminal in Liberty State Park
> has been moved. A
> section of track about 100 feet long has been laid parallel
> to the northern-most
> trainshed, and the car is at the east end of it. The parking
> lot is all ripped
> up and fenced off (the old paving stones have been saved in
> pile all the way up
> at the west entrance to the park for reuse?) Anybody know
> what's going on here?

The "CNJ" DL&W baggage car? :)