RE: (erielack) Pullman Standard Commuter Coaches

Rich,

> He said that the roofs of the coaches were specified to be
> strong enough to
> support pantographs, and that they tried to keep as much room
> as possible
> underneath the cars for the requisite equipment, should they
> ever be converted
> to electric operation.

Hmmm... interesting. It just struck me as a little odd that these cars would
be made into MU's. Most MU's, I thought, should have an operator's cab on
one end, and this just isn't the case with these cars. Obviously it could be
done; it would just be a bit inconvenient.

> Minor nit-pick, Paul, the NJT demotored arrow cars now used
> as push pull cars
> (NJT 5155-5169 and 5220-5234) are the former Arrow I cars.
> The Arrow II cars
> ran as MU cars throughout their time on NJT, until being
> retired over the past
> couple of years.
>
> The Metro-North "Arrow"-looking cars, I think, were never
> actually used as MU
> cars, but were converted to push pull right at the factory.
> I'm sure someone
> else has the full story on those cars.

These were the cars I was referring to, not the rebuilt Arrow I's. I
mistakenly assumed that NJT owned some of these as well...