(erielack) Pullman Standard Commuter Coaches

I asked Bill Herkner about this. At the time Bill was one of the key EL people
involved in the purchase of this equipment.  Basically, the statement in the
book is true.

He said that the roofs of the coaches were specified to be strong enough to
support pantographs, and that they tried to keep as much room as possible
underneath the cars for the requisite equipment, should they ever be converted
to electric operation.

Minor nit-pick, Paul, the NJT demotored arrow cars now used as push pull cars
(NJT 5155-5169 and 5220-5234) are the former Arrow I cars. The Arrow II cars
ran as MU cars throughout their time on NJT, until being retired over the past
couple of years.

The Metro-North "Arrow"-looking cars, I think, were never actually used as MU
cars, but were converted to push pull right at the factory.  I'm sure someone
else has the full story on those cars.

Rich Wisneski
Denville, NJ

Based on the design of the cars, it would certainly be difficult to convert
these to MU's. I've seen original artists renderings where the cars more
closely resembled MU's, but the as-delivered cars didn't quite look
convertible... The "motorless" Arrow II coaches that NJT and Metro-North has
in service today could possibly be convertible, however...

	- Paul