Re: (erielack) Rahway Valley RR.

David Goessling wrote:

> Question on this shortline: not strictly E-L, but connected...
>
> Every evening I drive I78 East from Murray Hill and cross an overpass just
> before the connection with Rte24. There's an old quarry on the right with a
> bunch of rusting equipment: was this cut the Rahway Valley ROW?

No that is just construction and quarry junk.

The next road you go over is Shunpike road (to the south is  Baltusrol Golf course
and to the north on that road is another abandoned bridge of the Rahway Valley
Railroad.  Further east on I78 just before the exit to route 24 you are crossing the
railroad.  This can not be seen due to the sound barriers.

The RR next crosses Mountain Ave. and then Meisel Ave. and then to a wye and a
crossing of Rt. 22.  There still may be track in all but the 22 crossing, which was
close to Force Machinery and the old drive in movie.
Both bridges in summit have been removed and possibly the one over Shunpike.

Since most of the trackage was in the woods away from the roads there may be
something left to see.