(erielack) Railfan tours, and Inlinebob's opinion

> From: "Inlinebob_@_aol.com"
> To: "SGL2_@_ix.netcom.com"; gumby@interactive.net; BDTatar@worldnet.att.net
> Cc: "erielack_@_internexus.net"
> Subject: Re: (erielack) Harriman, NY "Charles Minot" plaque
> Date: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 9:06 AM
>
> In a message dated 99-05-05 00:00:01 EDT, "SGL2_@_IX.NETCOM.COM" writes:
>
> <<  I did once walked all through the D&H Colonie shops
>  during the day during the week, with a friend.  I wanted direct
>  measurements of Alco C424 windshield windows and some other information.
>>

> AND IF ANYONE WONDERS WHY RAILFANS ARE DISPISED AT MANY TERMINALS....

Oh, stop yelling!

That's dEspised . . .

I knew that this story would get a few hackles raised, and all I can say is
calm down, we were (and are) responsible railfans, a lot like we were
responsible campers, you know, take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but
footprints . . . not responsible campers any more because we're not campers
any more, unfortunately.

and then four minutes later
"Inlinebob_@_aol.com"
who has to my knowledge never signed HIS name to any of his posts has this
to say:

> Yes, I can see responsible railfanning is running rampant. Thanks, from
the
> entire railfan and railroad communities, for nothing. I hope your models
are
> nice.
>
> Funny, I toured (toured -- as in "with permission" --) the Colonie shops
and
> photographed, measured and enjoyed everything there. No problem.
>
> I have had great sucess getting official tours in places where many fans
> never get in. It can be done, legally. You should try it, SGL.
>
> And how about using a name?
>
> Rob Davis

Rob, you have nothing to thank me for, and I didn't ask for your opinion,
you know.  We harmed no one and hurt no one.  We also were VERY careful not
to do anything physically stupid while we were in there.  I know, I know,
you think we were stupid for being in there in the first place, but that's
your opinion.

Maybe, Rob, when you went, the authorities were in a cooperative mode -
when we went they were not, though they were also not vigilant, evidently.
It can't ALWAYS be done, legally, permission is not always forthcoming, and
its not being withheld for good reasons either, but rather just because
someone doesn't want to deal with it or is on a power trip.  I have also
toured quite a few places, most places I have ever gone, with permission,
and that is the way I  normally do it.  Chalk it up to a (comparatively)
youthful indiscretion.

Yep, the models ARE nice.

Oh, and Rob, since now I know your name too - and since your email program
apparently doesn't post the name of the sender, and I have, and most people
I know have, a program that does - I sign SGL because it's a lot easier
than typing

Schuyler G Larrabee

every time, and I don't like macros.