RE: (erielack) Early CR Logos on EL Units

>#825 & 833 were the two E-8's that probably lasted the longest on
>CR's roster,
>their last 'claim to fame' was handling former EL passenger trains
>#28 & 29 on
>the former Erie Cleveland Branch between Cleveland and Youngstown.  These
>trains survived into the Conrail era until the last runs on
>January 14, 1977.

The 825/833's "final" duties on the EL were primarily to run the "farewell"
business trips. You'll notice photos of the 825/833 in 1975/1976, and they
are pristine and sparkling. They were kept this way so the railroad would
put on a good impression, apparently. (too bad it didn't save the road!)

>At least one of these units (probably the 4022) was repainted Conrail blue
>with white lettering/logos, as I remember chasing an OCS special up the
>Delaware Div. up Gulf Summit, over Starrucca Viaduct, and into Binghamton,
>where the special tied up the night.  This was the early 1980's I believe.

You're correct; this was the ONLY E-unit to receive FULL CR blue (with the
roadname and logo) - another E8 got CR blue, but only a "CR" stencil - it
was a former PRR unit.

4014 actually ran out of South Amboy, NJ towards the end (in EL paint!) in
commuter service for CR! If someone reminds me, I'll post up my friend's
shots of it at South Amboy....