Re: (erielack) Re: EL modifications to their Geep 35's

Could be those shields were tried because of how GP30's and '35's all have
that crazy electrical system with like 24 steps in transition, where most
others have a lot less (4 I think) - and when the 35 shorts out or cuts out
on a step you had to start over again from the beginning (one of you
engineer types can probably give a better explanation of the problems with
these things).   There was an article in Trains about the Frisco from a
crewman's point of view, within the last few years, that talked about the
problem too.    You can tell what Conrail thought of them when keeping in
mind that at least one ran in EL paint as late as 1992 (!) when it was
leased to CP...   and many of them got cut up in the 567 purge a couple
years back, still painted black, green/yellow, and grey/maroon/yellow....
	I know a few engineers now who still think of those things as junk, I'd
talked with one about trying to replace our FP7 and mentioned that those
were all gone - and he thought it was good, said you don't want one. (In
the defense of the engine, there are a few shortlines who seem to have good
luck with them, all owned by one group in the midwest and west).

Bill K.

Bill's Syracuse rail page

http://www.dreamscape.com/pontiac/rail.html