RE: (erielack) Re: EL modifications to their Geep 35's

>Hello Fellows,
>Last evening I was looking through a batch of EL motive power photos that
>were taken by a friend in 1968. The snaps were taken in the Binghamton, NY
>area in and around the station. As I thumbed through I really didn't see
>anything out of the ordinary and then suddenly I spied something that I had
>not seen before. Two separate photos showed EL GP 35's with what apperared
>to be an "add on" shroud placed over the filter boxes just aft of the cab.
>The shots show the engineer's side of # 2576 and fireman's side of # 2586.
>Since both sides are visible one can assume that the mod. was made to both
>sides of each unit. The tin work has the appearance of an awning in that
>the slope of the metal matches that of the cab roof. The bottom of the
>opening can't be seen so I don't know if the filters were extended or not
>but I doubt it. My friend said that he can remember seeing the 35's soon
>after delivery, and that after a spring run up the Delaware Division it was
> not unusual to see those filter (as delivered) jammed full of maple tree
>seed propellers and other organic materials that were picked up along the
>way. Since these shrouds open up at the bottom, it would make sense that
>they would eliminate this problem. Does anyone in the group have any
>insight into these modifications?? Thanks,
>Matt Forsyth

These shrouds are more commonly known as "snow shields." They are designed
to direct blowing snow above and around the intakes (I'm assuming the snow
would short out something in there?) They're very common on many Canadian
Pacific units, and the EL experimented with these on several GP35s (I'm
still trying to get a complete list of all the GP35s that had 'em) - the
experiment obviously didn't work, as these test units weren't repeated, and
the units that did get them had them removed (most of them, at least)

You can see more examples on George Elwood's site. Check out:

http://gelwood.el.wny.org/loco/2553.jpg
http://gelwood.el.wny.org/loco/2581a.jpg

End of Erielack Digest V1 #5

 - -